Welcome to the Westlake Village Virtual Recreation Center!
There are plenty of ways to be active and creative while distancing in this new and temporary age of coronavirus. Below you’ll find online fitness classes for all ages, arts and crafts ideas, virtual museum tours and more. It’s important that we all continue to care for our minds and bodies as we navigate the challenges of physical distancing. All activities are offered by third-party organizations (not connected to the City of Westlake Village).
SUMMER CAMP WITH CRPD
Specialty Camps – The Conejo Recreation and Park District is offering week-long specialty camps at White Oak Elementary School for children ages 5-15. Specialty Camps are held at White Oak Elementary School through a contract between the City and the Conejo Recreation and Park District. All camps will follow Los Angeles County Public Health and CDC guidelines for staff and participant safety.
Camp in a Box! – The Conejo Recreation and Park District camp in a box brings camp to you, for children ages 5 -12! Summer fun activities in a box with hands on activities to keep your camper engaged in the world around them. Some CRPD Camp in a box weekly themes include: Art, Nature, World Travelers, Science, Insects, Outdoor Fun, Crafts, & National Park Wildlife.
For more information or to register for a camp, please contact the CRPD Dos Vientos Community Center at (805) 375-1003.
FITNESS AND MINDFULNESS
- Do Yoga With Me – Sign Up for 2 free months of online yoga instruction.
- Fitness Blender – Free fitness videos for every level.
- Fitness Blender for Kids – Free kid friendly fitness videos.
- Silver Sneakers – Senior fitness classes.
- Tai Chi Lesson – Online video.
- Nike Training Club – App filled with free fitness videos.
- Strong by Zumba – free online Zumba classes
- Cosmic Kids Yoga – Kid friendly yoga exercises.
- Fluency and Fitness – Educational brain breaks to help students review literacy and math skills, while getting in some exercise.
- GoNoodle– Movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts.
- The OT Tool Box – Resources designed to build skills through movement
- Lisa Wildermuth Yoga: Yin Yoga 1 – Local Westlake Village Yoga Instructor
ACTIVITIES, GAMES & RECIPES
- BBC goodfood– Children’s baking recipes
- Art Trek – art, activities and contests with #TryItTuesday and #FreeFamilyFriday
- All Kids Network– Crafts, activities, mazes, dot to dot, etc.
- Highlights Kids – Fun games, recipes, crafts, and activities.
- Nomster Chef– Illustrated recipes designed for children ages 2-12.
- Baking & Bread Camp – Youth and adult virtual cooking classes by Gourmandise School of Sweets and Savories.
- Gardening – Guide to gardening for children.
ARTS, CULTURE AND MUSEUMS
- CRPD Ukulele Classes – Email instructor Jim Swing at email@example.com to sign-up!
- Art Trek Visions of Hope – Art Projects!
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art – (Met Kids) Discover the Met Museum through virtual activities.
- Google Arts and Culture – Features content from over 1,200 leading museums and archives.
- Broadway Shows – Watch a Broadway show for free.
- Annenberg Space for Photography– Photography Education resources.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – Head to the Aquarium through their live stream.
- San Diego Zoo – Live animal cameras and videos.
- The Environmental Nature Center– Educational videos for school-aged children.
- Aquarium of the Pacific – Webinars, live-cam footage, and classes.
- Nat Geo Kids – Learn about geography and animals.
- Smithsonian Zoos and Museums – Live video of the National Zoo and activities from the Smithsonian Learning Lab.
- National Parks – Live video and virtual tours of National Parks including the Statue of Liberty and Yellowstone National Park.
- Louvre Museum – Virtual Exhibit Tours.
READING AND LEARNING
- Los Angeles County Virtual Library– Free eBooks and eAudiobooks. Tutoring help and online tutorials. Obtain a digital library card online.
- Climate Kids – NASA’s science exploration for children.
- PBS Learning – over 30,000 learning materials for children.
- Duolingo – Learn a new language for free.
- Scholastic Learn at Home – Reading activities for children.
- Bed Time Math – Math as a fun part of your daily family routine.
- Conjuguemos – Multi-language listening activities and games.
MAKE YOUR OWN MASKS
- CDC Face Covering Recommendations and How To Video (no sewing required)
- Face Covering Sewing Tutorial
- DIY Face Coverings
Though we are required to practice physical distancing, this doesn’t mean we need to be socially distant from our friends and family. Pick up the phone or connect through a variety of virtual platforms such as, Zoom, Facetime, Google Hangouts, Skype, and more. Reach out to those who live alone, especially the elderly.
Here are some more virtual activity ideas for Zoom, Facetime, Google Hangouts, or Skype:
- Social Hours
- Book Club Discussions
- Coffee Dates
- Cooking Together
- Board Game Nights
Have a great idea of how to stay social and active from a distance? Email us your ideas, we’d love to hear from you!